Thursday, April 14, 2005

The Place

Between the two trees where Chris and I got married to each other is a sacred place.

Last evening, after sharing good coffee and a lovely conversation with a friend at a downtown Starbuck’s, I began to walk alongside the Boston Common toward Park Street Station where I planned to board the T and head home. It was nearing 8:00 and as I meandered toward the station, I glanced in the direction of our trees and suddenly felt drawn toward them. Our trees. Our beautiful trees. We never meant to get married under them. The plan was to be married on the red line on route to Davis Square from Park Street Station. The idea was born of the fact that during our two year stay in Los Angeles, we missed the subways so much that the red line infiltrated many of our conversations. It seemed fitting that once we got back to Boston, we would get married on one of the cars. That was the plan until the morning of our wedding, January 17, 2004. Who knew that we would wake up to a bright, sunny 40 degree day when the temperature the day before dipped to 8 below zero? And the very next day, it snowed from morning until night. It was like the sky opened up just for us, just for our wedding day. Chris posed the idea that we get married above ground on the Boston Common. So we did and then took the red line to Rudy’s Mexican Restaurant to celebrate.

Last night, standing in the dark, between our two trees I was filled with warmth and love. I remembered our wedding day. It was perfect. Perfect because we were so much in love and so like one another. It was so simple. There was no primping and preening and making sure every last detail went exactly as planned. In fact, we went to Target that morning and did some household shopping (i.e. paper towels, bottled water, shampoo). There was no plan. Not really. We didn’t even know where, on the common, we were going to have the JP perform the ceremony. We just walked a bit until we came to our spot.


I hadn’t stood in that spot since our wedding day. I still feel warmth just thinking about last night. It’s like the trees could remember. They were there. They saw and heard everything. They could feel our love. It’s in that spot. The spot where I stood last night. I love that I can go there and stand, or sit and remember our day and remember my sweet, sweet, beautiful husband anytime I want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment