Monday, September 19, 2005

Inside Me

Horror. That’s what I felt. That’s what I still feel, except that now I feel short, quick flashes of it rather than a long, extended, endless knowledge that no matter what I do or say, he’s dying, that death cannot be convinced to go away and come back much, much later.

A friend of mine who survived breast cancer mentioned the chemo and illness flashbacks she still suffers to me the other day. Until she did, it hadn’t occurred to me that flashbacks are what I have been feeling, myself. Flashbacks. The feeling of a scream eternally trapped in the back of my throat, in slow motion without enough breath to push it into being. If I ever hear that scream, it will mean the end of my sanity.

Even so, the feeling still exists within me that I can do something to change what happened, to reverse it and to erase the memory from my mind forever, of stepping right up to the brink of insanity in the hospital chapel the night before we were given the horrifying news.

I am still so in love with him. I’m still enveloped in passion when I look at him. I still feel like he slipped right through my fingers.

I can’t let go. I’m filled with horror every time I ponder it. I can’t breathe. I need him.

I need you.

3 comments:

  1. I came across your blog clicking the next blog button up top. I have to say you write very nicely and the way you write of your husband made me want to cry. Glad to know you are on your road to peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Famous Jody. I just spent some time on your blog. Very cute kitties, and I actually got excited seeing the progress of your tomato plant. Go figure. I eat them every day and never really stopped to think about how exciting it is to watch them grow. Probably because I get mine at Whole Foods already full-grown and ready to leave for college.

    Thanks for your comment.

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was exciting watching my tomatoes grow. I babied them every freakin day. They tasted soooo good au natural. By the way I'm down to one kitty. Cody, The white persian one. Kitty that was her name went to kitty heaven. Bye.

    ReplyDelete