Wednesday, September 7, 2005

Spirit, Courage, Strength

What is a gift? Is it anything one person gives another person? Is a gift an artistic talent or perhaps a brain overflowing with knowledge? Is it still? In motion?

Tonight I have a wonderful theory in my mind of the meaning of the idea of a gift and of gift-giving and gift-receiving. I believe that the gift is not in the material object that one gives to another, but in the gesture in the actual giving of the gift. A smile is a gift. A touch, a kind word, patience, teaching...all gifts and in my opinion, the gifts that really matter and make a difference in my life.

I’m beginning to understand that true gifts are forever in motion, given to one person who gleans the magic, love and warmth from the material symbol of the gift and then passes on that gift along with what they add to it from their own life experiences and loves.

Tonight I received the most beautiful gift in the mail from Chris’ aunt Renée who had expressed the desire to give me a gift a couple of weeks ago. At the time, I told her that being a part of the Burrage family was all the gift I ever needed and that truth comes from the deepest, most thankful part of my soul. That really is all the gift I could ever wish for and I feel eternally fortunate to have received such a beautiful honor in my lifetime.

But tonight I feel as though I have been awarded a ray of peace which I breathed straight into my heart, in the form of a silver chain from which three rings labeled “Spirit”, “Courage” and “Strength” are joined. Along with the gift, came a note which reads:

Robin,

As soon as I saw this in a catalog, I thought of you. You have these traits in abundance and I’m so glad you’re part of our family!

Love, Renée


Receiving this gift and the words that came with it not only made me feel loved, but reminded me of how much I love my family, old and new. And reading the words on the three pendants reminded me of who I am and who I am supposed to continue being throughout my life. Each of the three words, “Spirit”, “Courage” and “Strength” branded and penetrated my heart the very second that I read them, filled it with warmth and reminded me that I have gifts of my own to give, many of which were given to me by my Chris. It is my job, my responsibility and my will to continue to give those gifts to others throughout the remainder of my life.

Gifts are in motion, from Chris to me, from me to Chris, from Chris and me to our family, from my friends to me and back from me to every person I come into contact with and vice versa. There are gifts all around us if we keep our hearts open to them.

Tonight, my sprit, strength and courage were restored. And not a moment too soon.

Shneed

No comments:

Post a Comment