Thursday, April 20, 2006

Love is a Little Piece of a Sausage

It’s midnight. I have to get up at 5:30, but I have been reluctant to go to the bedroom.

This evening at rehearsal, I couldn’t wait to get home the entire time. I wasn’t in the mood to work at anything, even music.

I began to cry on the drive home. I think all of these thoughts about dating have pushed me off balance again. I cried very hard when I got into my apartment. I talked to Chris, telling him that I wish he was here that I want him back that I want him not to be dead and everything else I always tell him when I’m in that state of mind. Tonight was rough.

I need to go to bed so I won’t be tired tomorrow, but I’m having that all too familiar feeling of reluctance. I don’t want to go. I want my life to return to what it was before Chris got sick and I want us to have a second chance. But that isn’t going to happen. There is no second chance.

I don’t think I can be with somebody else. The thought of looking across the table and seeing someone other than Chris is too much for me to handle. I dabble, here and there, in thoughts of dating. I almost joined eHarmony. I almost joined Match.com. I browse the sites, but I just can’t bring myself to join. I don’t know what to do.

Chris used to make pasta with vegetarian sausage. He was insistent upon boiling the sausages in water before frying them in a pan, even though they were vegetarian. I used to make fun of him for his cooking habits because he followed directions precisely and refused to stray. Whenever he made pasta and sausage, he would cut a little piece off of a sausage and bring it over to me to eat. It sounds so trivial, but it was special. He knew I wanted to try just a little piece so he would always bring me one.

I’m not going to be able to give another man a chance. I know it. I’m just going to keep seeing Chris in my mind and crashing every time I return to the present and see whoever is really there.

I don’t want to imprison myself, but I’m doing it. Maybe it just isn’t time, yet. I feel pressure. I promised myself I wouldn’t spend another year alone. I think I’m just weakened tonight.

I’m going to get up and force myself to go to sleep.

2 comments:

  1. Although it's none of my business, but I like to think that in a situation like having been dumped or have a spouse pass away, that when the time is right, there is someone else out there waiting to know you and love you. It's like we shouldn't deny someone else a chance to get to know us and even love us. It may never compare to the love you've know before, but know that there is another love waiting to meet you. Maybe Chris is searching from heaven for someone to fit you perfectly. Maybe that's why you don't feel ready yet. Chris will send you someone when you are ready. Peace to you girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (tears) Thank you, Famous Jody. You made my morning with that wonderful thought.

    Smiles n snifs,
    Shneed

    ReplyDelete