Monday, June 30, 2008

My Cold, Dead Hands

Last week, a friend of mine offered his complete honesty to me. There is little else in this world that I value as much as honesty within my friendships.

He has been reading my grief-rantings for the past few years and made mention of the few months in which I wrote very little, and those months in which I wrote nothing at all. In his mind, he guessed (and hoped) I was doing well, feeling better, and that that’s why I wrote less. Less time to stop and smell the grief. I confirmed his belief, stating that in true artist form, I write most often when I am feeling miserable. When my writing is sparse, happiness is abundant.

I also shared with him my own frustration with the state of my mind, part of which is still riddled with sadness, shock, denial and anger, even after three and half years. At times, I am maddened by the pesistence of grief in my life. I’m angry that my brain still dons the chains of loss. I am annoyed with myself for not “getting over it” faster, in the same way Chris was admittedly “annoyed” with his cancer.

My friend said grief can be self-indulgent, and I agree with him. I know, because I’m living within the confines of self-indulgent grief. I have been enduring a pattern of night-meltdowns, every night, sometimes immediately after walking through my door and sometimes immediately before I fall asleep.

When I grieve my loss, Chris is kept alive. The day I let go, will be a very sad day, for on that day Chris will die again. I know I have said before that grief has another side, a side that feels good, because grieving my loss feels right. Letting go of my husband feels wrong. Hence, my self-indulgence.

My new therapist is going to work with me, using hypnotherapy, in an attempt (hopefully a successful one) to help me let go of the white-knuckled grip I still have on my Chris, my hopes, my dreams, my plans, and a future that never was and never will be. I am unable to release the grip on my own. She believes she can help me, and I need to believe she can, too.

I no longer wish to live a life asserting that I will let go of my husband when he is pried out of my cold, dead hands.

I’d like to let go while I’m still alive.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:18 PM

    I have thought a lot about this, and although I am much, much earlier in this process than you are (10 months today- ugh), and therefore have much to learn... I will offer you my thoughts regardless.

    I don't see why you have to let go of Chris when you let go of grief. I see them as two separate things, really. I know I said this in a previous comment, but I really don't ever expect to be 'done' with grieving. My husband died. I will never 'get over' it. But I fully intend to 'get through' it. By getting through, I hope to get to a point where there are things I do and ways I approach life that are 'Josh-like' in nature. To me, that will be a way to have him with me always. I expect there will be days/hours after 3, 4, 5, 10, 20 years where I miss him terribly, where I am wistful and the things that should be happy feel bittersweet and I am angry that he is not here to see his son graduate from high school, etc. I do not need to 'let go' of Josh, rather, I want to pull him into my life, into my head, into my worldview.

    Like I said, this is still new to me, and so this may be my little fantasy about post-Year 1 grieving, but I really do believe that you can 'hang on' to Chris and at the same time, live your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:58 PM

    Right on, Djano's mommy! I wish you, as I wish my sister, Robin, as much peace as possible in your grieving process. Love, Starr

    ReplyDelete