Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Unexpected First

It didn’t occur to me that my trip to the airport today would be my first return to an airport since the last time Chris and I traveled together. It sure hit me once I got into the ticketing area, though, and almost stopped me dead in my tracks. I felt light-headed and panicked as I walked past the Starbuck’s, Dunkin’ Donuts and other restaurants, remembering the feeling of traveling with my husband. Chris loved being at the airport. He loved traveling.

As I walked the length of terminal B, I was hit with rapid-fire memories of our travel experiences together: sitting on the floor eating donuts, stop-overs spent eating french fries, reading and napping on each others’ shoulders.

I didn’t expect the ribbon-like barriers (the kind that are usually in the bank) to choke me up the way they did. I felt a surge of hopeless tears coming on and had to concentrate and tell myself that I was not going to cry in the airport. Not that I wouldn’t have in another circumstance, but I was meeting Larry with his documents and I didn’t feel like exposing myself for the grief-stricken, skittish, widow that I am. I took a deep breath and relaxed.

Another one down.

No comments:

Post a Comment